Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Okra and Tomatoes

When I told my mom I was making okra and tomatoes, she instantly said, "gross!" After a second, I realized that she thought I would be making fried, breaded okra with tomatoes because, well, that's how we make okra in the South. While, I do love me some fried okra dipped in heaps of ketchup, I also love unfried, unbreaded okra in heaps of stewed tomatoes.



Okra is full of fiber, vitamins A, C, and B6, large amounts of calcium, zinc, riboflavin, folic acid, and iron. It's also low in calories and fat free! There's really no reason to ignore this vegetable.

Okra and Tomatoes

1 bag frozen chopped okra
1 can diced tomatoes, no salt added
1 can stewed tomatoes, sliced
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp Italian spice blend
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/4 tsp thyme
1/8 tsp red pepper
1/8 tsp black pepper
salt to taste


In a slow cooker, add all ingredients and cook on low for 2-4 hours. Stir occasionally. Serve over brown rice.

You can also cook this on the stove top in a large pot until onions and okra are tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment