Friday, September 2, 2011

Skin: Your Biggest Organ

Wrinkles or "lines of wisdom and late nights," as I like to call them, have started showing up on my body. While I'd like to ignore it and keep swimming in the Fountain of Youth, wrinkles come with age and I'm the big 2-5 with a quarter of a century worth of late nights studying, fun nights with my friend Bud Light, and hot days in the sun. Unfortunately, all of those are showing up on my once youthful, glowing face. Boys you are not exempt from wrinkles and us girls admire a nice, smooth face! Keep reading!

It's often forgotten as an organ and as we age, well, it's inevitable that us women pay more and more attention to it. Skin protects our bodies, helps keep our body temperature just right, and allows us to have a sense of touch. However, sometimes we overlook that eating right and exercise isn't only good for keeping weight off, it's great for our skin too.

In my search to better my skin, I've come up with a few ways we can ease the aging process of our skin.

1) Wash everyday before bed. I wash twice. Once to wash away the day and one to cleanse. I use Neutrogena Naturals and I'm in love with this product.

2) Exfoliate at least once a week. Not just face, your whole body has dry skin cells. I've used St.Ives Apricot Scrub since I got my first pimple.

3) Apply moisturizer after washing. Use at least 2 peanuts worth. Also, try using a Retnoid cream. I seriously have been swearing by Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion since I was probably 13. They even have a gel for oily skin.

4) Eat your vitamins. Don't just take a multivitamin. Eat foods that are rich in antioxidants, vitamin C, and low fat. Basically, eat your veggies and fruits. Stay way from sugary and bad fat foods.

5) Exercise! Sweating flushes our body of toxins and helps get your blood flowing. Make sure to wash your face after! Aim for 30 minutes a day of good, sweaty physical activity.

6) Eat foods with selenium. Selenium helps sun damaged skin and reverses the signs of again. Good sources are poultry, crab, fish, and wheat.

7) Avoid too much caffeine and alcohol. These things dehydrate your skin! Just think how thirsty you are after a night out. Let's be real, most of us need coffee in the morning and we all like to unwind with a few drinks. Just take it in moderation and make sure to use extra moisturizer and drink plenty of water after a night of drinking.

8) SLEEP! On my list, this is the most important. Your body has to recharge and if it doesn't, it will show up on your face. Swollen, puffy eyes and big ol bags under your peepers. Aim for 7-8 hours a night. If you aren't able to get that much shut eye, keep a Garnier Anti-Puff Eye Roller handy and once again, moisturize.

No comments:

Post a Comment