The idea for this topic came to me today as I thought about my group of girlfriends that I went through my graduate program with. We love food, but we love good, healthy food and we like to exercise. Our gatherings usually occur around a meal. We typically share recipes and workouts and when we're together our conversation somehow comes back to some health topic. Some may think we're freaks of nature because we could probably tell you how many calories are in most of your food or the caloric expenditure of a 2 mile walk, but to us, it's natural. Finding friends that share your same interests while you're trying to get into better shape is a key to a successful journey. I see how a support system works through my career as well. Our Web site provides a Forum that facilitates a place for our members to discuss their journey's with other members who are going through the same thing. It's truly inspiring to see the friendships that are made and grown out of people who are aiming toward similar goals.
This past winter/spring I trained for my 2nd half-marathon. I couldn't have done it without the support of my friend and training buddy, Samantha. Lacing up your shoes for a 10-mile run in 40 degree weather isn't the most exciting thing to do, but it makes it slightly more doable when you know you aren't alone. It makes it all worth it when you cross the finish line and can high-five that person that's been with you along the journey.

I'm not suggesting to ditch your current friends if they are gorging themselves with unhealthy choices, I'm saying, find at least one person to talk to and share your journey with. Surround yourself with positive people and you'll find yourself in positive situations.
No comments:
Post a Comment