I totally forgot to take a picture, so I snapped a phone picture of my leftovers that I had for lunch. I ate my sloppy joe mix without the bun...don't judge me!

The mac 'n cheese is Annie's Totally Natural Shells & Real-Aged Wisconsin Cheddar Macaroni & Cheese. I like this mac 'n cheese because it's free of artificial flavoring and dyes. The natural cheese is colored with a plant extract called annatto. Annatto has been used in tropical American cultures for generations to color foods such as butter, cheese and mustard. The annatto tree grows 20 to 30 feet in height and when its seeds are stirred in water, they produce orange annatto dye, also called achiote, to color foods. Annie's Cheddar Macaroni and cheese is a great alternative for kids(or even us big kids) who need to have that "orange" cheese on their macaroni. It's also a great source of protein, calcium, and vitamin A. What's even better is it usually runs around $.99-2.00. Slim Sloppy Joe's

Ingredients:
1 lb lean ground turkey
1 onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
8 oz tomato sauce
1/2 tsp mustard
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp ketchup
Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper as desired.
In a large pot, brown ground turkey with onion, pepper, and garlic. Drain any grease from turkey. Add tomato sauce, mustard, ketchup, and brown sugar. Mix until brown sugar has dissolved. Let simmer for 20 mins.
Serve on a whole-wheat bun or enjoy plain.
No comments:
Post a Comment